After a period of 6 months without holding our Senatus meeting due to the restrictions inorder to limit the spread of CoVID-19, Senatus of Uganda finally held it’s meeting on Sunday, 18th October 2020 upon the relaxation of the restrictions on churches.
Due to the limit of the congregations to 70 in the President of Uganda’s guidelines issued on 20th September 2020, most of the officers that could have willed to attend couldn’t.
Below is a summary of the issues discussed:
- Centenary Celebrations scheduled to begin in September 2020 were put on hold. Preparations for the centenary magazine are underway. Each council should write an article about the history of their council. For more guidelines, click here.
- All Legionaries were asked to continue praying for the new bishops; Rt. Rev. Eciru Joseph Oliach of Soroti diocese, Rt. Rev. Severinus Jjumba of Masaka Diocese and the most recent Archbishop, His Grace Lambert Bainomugisha of Mbarara Archdiocese. Let those that have offered a Spiritual bouquet submit to their respective higher councils.
- When praying for a departed Legionary, it’s only a Praesidium that uses secret bag collection not the Council. This note comes as we prepare for November, the month of our faithful departed.
- The Website for the Senatus of Uganda was to be out that week in a bid to help Senatus in delivering information. Kindly use it often and share the information to reach to all Legionaries.
- The Patrician groups that had been formed can start meeting in consultation with their Spiritual Director.
Each officer present received the following documents (Most are available for download except the correspondence from Concilium):
- Correspondence from Concilium (Contact your Correspondent)
- Guide on allocation of Legionary work during CoVID-19 period
- Guidelines for resuming Council meetings
- Guidelines for resuming of Praesidium meeting
- Concilium elections held in August
- Permission from the Bishop of Hoima Diocese to print Runyoro-Rutooro handbook of the Legion of Mary
- Questionnaire on Council progress. This was filled by all present. Incase you missed, kindly download and fill it and submit at the next meeting.
In the meeting, we received reports from Nsambya Comitium and Kabuwoko Comitium. All councils whose reports are due (according to the annual program) should prepare the reports and submit them.