Legion of Mary in the entire World is celebrating the Centenary of its founding. The first meeting took place at 8pm on 7th September 1921 at Myra House, Francis Street, Dublin, Ireland.
The Centenary is a time of joy, of celebration and of thanksgiving. The celebration of Mass is be the highlight and centerpiece.
Centenary Celebrations in Uganda
Uganda joined the rest of the World in the celebrations that will last one year (September 2021 to September 2022).
The theme of the Centenary is “REMEMBER. RENEW. REJOICE. RECRUIT. 1921-2021“
On Tuesday, 7th September 2021 we had the inauguration Mass that was presided over by the Most Rev. Paul Ssemogerere.
The Centenary theme song was launched that day and it is available on Senatus YouTube Channel on the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQnL9mr5XE
On that day, the Centenary Candle was lit by the bishop and handed over to the officers of the Senatus of Uganda. The Candle will be used at all the Centenary Celebrations in all the dioceses in Uganda.
Indulgence for the Centenary
The Holy Father, Pope Francis granted a Plenary Indulgence to the members of the Legion of Mary and to other members of the faithful who will joyfully participate in the celebrations. Read more details of the DECREE HERE.
Centenary Celebrations at the Diocese
Each of the 19 Dioceses in Uganda should organise Mass of thanksgiving (with the Bishop in attendance, where possible) between September 2021 and September 2022. At that Mass, the souls of the departed legionaries from that diocese will be prayed for.
Comitia at the dioceses are requested to organise. For the dioceses without the Comitia, the Curia should organise otherwise a Praesidium at the diocese.
A Social and light refreshments served afterwards would mark the occasion.
Endeavor to notify the organising Committee or send an email to email@example.com regarding the preparations.
The Mass at the diocese will be the climax of the Centenary Celebrations.
Centenary Memorial Magazine
We are pleased to inform you that the Centenary Magazine is ready.
We are extremely grateful for the different people that have sent in great articles and messages. The magazine is indeed a masterpiece for the Centenary of Legion of Mary.
We are trying to distribute the magazine through the different Councils and Praesidia. Incase you wish to acquire a copy, contact us through the website or leave a comment here or contact +256755265007 or +256774265007
The magazine contains a story of Legion of Mary in Uganda, messages from the different Bishops and Archbishops in Uganda among others. 136 pages of rich content. Each magazine goes for UGX 10,000/=
- Praesidia to provide a register of those who established the Legion where we are, the officers and members who served, who are now deceased. This is to include active, auxiliary and former members who are deceased. These registers should be submitted through the curiae to Comitia and finally to Senatus by 6th September 2021.
- Each Curia to organize (if possible) a retreat/recollection within the year, aimed at spiritual renewal of the members. Emphasize the devotion to the sacraments, especially reconciliation and Eucharist.
- Each curia to organize talks about the three causes of canonization within the year –Frank Duff, Edel Quinn, and Alphonsus Lambe.
- Each Praesidium should undertake extensive recruitment and extension, and aim at doubling its auxiliary membership. Each presidium to form either one other praesidium or one Patrician Society or both.
- Each Praesidium to celebrate the anniversary of the praesidium formation.
- Each Praesidium should offer a novena of Masses for all deceased members in the month in which the Praesidium was formed.
Please note: Do NOT make use of uniforms or specially made up t-shirts, dresses etc. The member of the Legion of Mary is a leaven in society not someone publicly marked out as a legionary.