Today marks 83 years since the first meeting of the Legion of Mary in Uganda. The first Praesidium was started in Holy Ghost Normal School which is now Sancta Maria Primary Teachers College.
Edel Quinn visited Holy Ghost Normal School, Nkokonjeru in the present Lugazi Diocese on 12th September 1938. It is on that day that she talked to the girls about the Legion of Mary.
The very first meeting of the Legion of Mary was held on Saturday, 24th September 1938 and the Praesidium was called “Our Lady of Mercy” because that day was her Feast. The very first work allocated that day was church mending and visiting the hospital.
Meetings continued weekly and on 5th October 1938, the following officers were appointed.
|Rose Namatovu||Vice President|
Edel Quinn continued to check on the Praesidium until 25th February 1939 when she bade them farewell. She told the members that she would not be back for 2 years as she would be going to Kenya for 6 months and after go to Tanganyika in which Legion of Mary would be started in both places.
Congratulations to Mother of Mercy Praesidium, Nkokonjeru that celebrates 83 years of existence today. Details of this Praesidium and Edel Quinn’s movement among others will be in the Centenary Memorial Magazine that will be out December this year.